Food waste is a huge problem that we all have the power to solve, even here in Townsville.
Every year 1/3 of all food waste comes from retail, hospitality and food outlets while simultaneously 1 in 5 Australians go hungry. To tackle this OzHarvest have just launched their latest innovation in food rescue, the OzFood App. Using digital technology to connect local businesses with surplus food, to nearby charities in need of food relief, the OzHarvest Food App aims to find food rescue solutions for communities where our yellow vans cannot reach.
The app is designed to connect local businesses with charities in need on a regular and ongoing basis. Once you have registered with the OzHarvest Food App, it takes three simple steps:
- Food donor uploads details of the surplus food
- A local charity receives a message notifying them about the food
- The charity collects the food.
The OzHarvest Food App is now live across Australia. TheirFood App support team are working away on a rollout plan to deploy the platform in as many regions as possible.
For more information of the OzHarvest Food App, please click here.
OzHarvest is set to launch in Townsville in December and thanks to a generous grant, OzHarvest will be able to offer the app to independent businesses completely free of charge for a full 12 months.
For businesses, the key benefits of the app include:
– Reduced cost of waste disposal
– Positive impact on the local community
– Reducing greenhouse gas emissions
– Full reporting on the amount of food donated
– Simple and long term approach to food donations