A new 10-year strategy launched today aims to ensure Townsville and North Queensland remains one of Australia’s key Defence locations for decades to come.
Townsville City Council today adopted the Townsville North Queensland Defence Strategy 2020-2030.
“For the first time the region has a well-structured unified strategy to guide logical and meaningful engagement around Defence investment in North Queensland,” Mayor Jenny Hill said.
“This strategy will allow Council to influence high pay-off opportunities to deliver mutually beneficial outcomes for our city through defence investment.
The five strategic goals are:
- Position and promote the Townsville Region as a strategic location for Defence capability and as a posting preference for Australian Defence Force personnel and families;
- Cultivate a capable and responsive local Defence industry aligned to Sovereign Industrial Capability priorities and future Defence capability programs;
- Support and enable opportunities for local industry to access regional, national and global Defence supply chains;
- Encourage collaboration between Defence, Defence Industry, Government and Academia, focusing on research development and innovation; and
- Develop strategic infrastructure that supports the ongoing and future needs of Defence, the local industry and the community.